Massage Therapy Covid-19 Practice Protocol
Massage Therapy Covid-19 Practice Protocol
***Please note that this Return to Clinical Practice Protocol is in accordance with the May 29th, 2020 guidelines set by the College of Massage Therapists' of British Columbia and the Registered Massage Therapists' Association of British Columbia and are subject to change without prior warning. It will be updated as required. Here is a summary:
- Reusable drinking glasses and the candy dish have been removed from the clinic. Patients are advised to bring their own bottle of drinking water. Bottled water may be requested, if necessary.
- Everything that cannot be sanitized has been removed from the treatment room, including fabric furnishings, books, non-essential décor items, etc.
- A Hepa air purifier will be run in the treatment room before, during (with patient’s consent) and after treatments to improve air quality and flow.
- To meet physical distancing requirements, the clinic waiting area is closed. The patient must arrive no earlier than 5 minutes prior to their scheduled appointment time. The patient may wait in their vehicle or outside the clinic entrance, until the RMT collects them for their treatment. The clinic door will remain locked. The patient will maintain 2 meters of physical distance while waiting for their practitioner and upon entering the clinic.
- All forms will be emailed to new patients to be printed and completed at home and brought to their scheduled appointment. If a home printer isn't available, the forms may be filled out and emailed back (to [email protected]) the day before the scheduled appointment, to allow time for printing the forms prior to patient arrival.
- The RMT will open and close all doors for the patient to avoid unnecessary contact with doorknobs.
- Patients will attend their appointment unaccompanied and will not be allowed to bring another person to their appointment. Those requiring physical assistance from a caregiver, and/or minors who require parental consent/supervision, will not be treated at this time. If a person from the same household has a scheduled appointment immediately before or after the patient’s appointment, they must wait elsewhere until their scheduled appointment time, as our waiting area remains closed.
- Hand washing/sanitizing and social distancing posters will be displayed in common areas, the treatment room and washroom.
- There will be hand sanitizer and tissues available at the clinic entrance, in the treatment room and in the washroom. Patients will wash for a minimum of 20 seconds and/or sanitize their hands immediately upon entering the clinic and immediately prior to leaving.
- Hands will be sanitized/washed prior to donning/doffing a mask, and the mask will be immediately disposed of. Masks are MANDATORY and will be worn by the RMT and patient for the duration of the patient’s appointment. Face shields/goggles and gloves are available for “high-risk" patients or if the patient has close contact with high-risk individuals and/or when the patient requests them.
- A clean plastic bin will be provided to place the patient's personal belongings in during the treatment, including clothing, purse, wallet, cell phone, jewelry, etc. The bins will be sanitized between uses.
- Each patient must complete the online BC Covid-19 Self Assessment the day before their scheduled appointment time. The patient is also required to complete Covid-19 pre-treatment screening questions with the RMT prior to all appointments. The patient will receive a phone call (for initial patients) or text message (for subsequent patients) the day prior to their scheduled appointment. If the patient answers "yes" to any of these questions, their appointment must be rescheduled. It is mandatory to complete this pre-treatment screening and any incomplete screening will result in the appointment being automatically canceled.
- An initial Covid-19 screening/informed consent form must be completed and signed immediately before the treatment. All appointments will be cancelled, if either the RMT or patient do not pass the screening criteria or consent is not obtained.
- Here are the links to the Covid-19 specific screening and consent forms for patient review. The appropriate form will be discussed and signed at the scheduled appointment.
- Initial visit since Covid-19 form must be reviewed, consented to and signed prior to the initial treatment.
- Subsequent visit Covid-19 form must be reviewed and signed, prior to the start of each subsequent treatment.
Health History, Treatment Consent and Covid-19 Forms
New patients please print off, complete the first 2 forms as fully as possible and bring to your appointment to be discussed PRIOR to signing:
- Initial Health History Form
- Treatment Consent Form
- Covid-19 Screening and Consent Form (for review only; to be completed at your appointment)
Subsequent patients, to be completed at your appointment (for review only):